Thursday, June 26, 2008

Mom's Visit



I am certainly the luckiest daughter out there: my mother came to visit me in El Salvador all the way from Namibia. It was a great couple of days with her - I showed off my house (she got to sleep in my tiny room), my work (we did a site visit in Ahuachapan, later visited my office, and my coworkers took her out for breakfast), and San Salvador (we had a tourist day of museums, cafes and Friday night synagogue services.)




Over the weekend, we headed to the gorgeous region of Santa Ana where we stayed in Santa Ana (the city) at a great little backpackers hostel. We explored the downtown area with its huge church and national theater - buildings with cool colonial architecture. We then made an outing to Lake Coatepeque - a beautiful crater lake with volcanoes rising up over it and lush green foliage all around. We swam and ate good food and read our books and relaxed.




On our second day in Santa Ana, we made another outing - this time to gorgeous national park Cerro Verde, named after the ancient volcano at the center of the park. After climbing high up by bus, we eventually found ourselves on top of Cerro Verde, next to neighboring giant volcano Ilamatepec, and overlooking smaller active volcano Izalco. The view was incredible - we could see all the way to the ocean.

Mom's visit was a wonderful gift. We had a great time together, and it was so exciting to have the opportunity to show her my life here in El Salvador. I'll never forget this trip.
(Contact me for more details on my mom's visit. She wrote up the visit and sent it out via her email list, the text of which I would be happy to pass along.)

No comments: